Part-time process – CGCC

IMPORTANT: Fall 2022 COVID-19 protocols for students. Verify your vaccination status securely with the SUNY Vaccination Verification Application

Part-time process

Part-time process

Please note that it is important to follow the steps as they are presented below:
(links will open in new browser window)

Step 1 – Get a FSA ID

Apply for a FSA ID at if you don’t already have one. You will need this FSA ID to electronically sign your FAFSA. If you are dependent, your parents will also need to get a FSA ID to electronically sign the FAFSA. This will insure the quickest, most accurate filing process.

Step 2 – File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

To be considered for any type of financial aid (grants, loans, or scholarships), all students must file the FAFSA at

Results are sent to you and C-GCC usually in a week from filing if your application is electronically signed with a FSA ID.

C-GCC’s Federal school code (Title IV) is: 006789


Please note that you must apply once every school year. You must also be accepted into a degree program by Admissions and be in good academic standing.

Step 3 – Applying for the Aid for Part-Time Study Program (APTS)

If you are not a New York State Resident, please skip to Step 4.

The New York State Aid For Part-Time Study Program (APTS) is a financial aid grant for part-time students meeting residence, income, academic, or other requirements, as established by state law. Applications are available at the C-GCC Financial Aid Office or download it from our Forms page.

Completed APTS applications should be submitted to the C-GCC Financial Aid Office prior to the deadlines indicated on the application. The deadline for the Fall semester is usually mid-September and the deadline for the Spring semester is usually late January. Students are notified of their awards approximately 6-8 weeks after the application deadline.

More information on the APTS Program can be found in the College catalog.

*APTS applications typically become available in June, prior to the new academic year.

Step 4 – Submitting the Columbia-Greene Financial Aid Application and Additional Information Requests

Complete and submit the Columbia-Greene Community College Financial Aid Application, available on our Forms page.

Additional Information Requests:

After your FAFSA is processed, C-GCC will be sent the information electronically. For electronic filers, the data is usually received in 1 to 2 weeks.

Once your FAFSA data is received, you may be required to submit additional information to the C-GCC Financial Aid Office.

Additional information is often required for one or more of the following reasons:

  • Database Mismatch – Your FAFSA data is matched against various federal databases (Social Security, Department of Veteran Affairs, etc.) to make sure you meet the basic eligibility requirements for federal financial aid. If it cannot be determined that you meet the basic eligibility requirements, you may be asked to submit any of the following:
    • Copy of your Social Security Card.
    • Copy of your birth certificate.
    • Proof of U.S. citizenship.
    • Proof of being a veteran of the armed forces.
  • Verification – One third of all federal aid applicants are randomly selected for a process called “verification”. If you are selected for this process, you will be required to submit the following to the C-GCC Financial Aid Office:
    • Verification Worksheet
    • Copy of student’s Federal tax return transcripts
    • Copy of parent’s Federal tax return transcripts (Dependent students only)

Please be aware that all errors, mismatches, and verification issues must be resolved before your financial aid can be finalized and applied to your account.

Step 5 – The Student Aid Report (SAR)

After your FAFSA is processed, you will be sent a Student Aid Report (SAR). Electronic filers who provided an e-mail address will be sent an e-mail providing an electronic link to their SAR. Electronic filers who did not provide an e-mail address will be sent a paper SAR in the mail.

Once you receive your SAR, you should review it for accuracy. If you need to make corrections to your SAR, follow the directions on the SAR

Step 6 – Additional Applications & Requirements

After your FAFSA and TAP applications are processed, C-GCC will credit any grants that you are eligible for towards your tuition charges. However, not every student will qualify for a Pell and/or TAP grant or be eligible for a grant large enough to meet their educational costs.

Students who need additional funds to meet their financial need may apply for:

  • The Work-Study Program (Federal Work Study & Columbia-Greene Work Study), which provides jobs for matriculated undergraduate students, allowing them to earn money to help pay educational expenses. You can pick up a Student Employment Contract at the Financial Aid office.
  • The Federal Direct Student Loan Program, which allows students to borrow money from the federal government through a lender to help pay for their educational expenses. For more information, see the Types of Financial Aid section of this website. To download a Federal Direct Student Loan Worksheet, go to our Financial Aid Forms page.
  • The Federal Parent Loan Program (PLUS), which allows parents to borrow money from the federal government through a lender, to help pay for their child’s educational expenses. For more information, see the Types of Financial Aid section of this web site.

Step 7 – Application Checklist

  • Apply for a FSA ID at
  • Complete Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Complete the NYS Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS) Application.
  • Review your Student Aid Report (SAR). Make any corrections that are necessary.
  • Respond to any request for additional information from the C-GCC Financial Aid Office.

File separate applications with the Financial Aid office if you are interested in the following:

  • Federal Direct Student Loan Worksheet
  • Work-Study (FWS & CWS)

To review, choose from the steps below:

Step 1  ·  Step 2  ·  Step 3  ·  Step 4  ·  Step 5  ·  Step 6  ·  Step 7

Section Menu