Degree Works™ FAQ – CGCC

**Visit the COVID-19 FAQ page for more information regarding Registration, Financial Aid, and more. To reach Admissions, call 518.828.4181, ext. 3427, or e-mail**

Degree Works™ FAQ

Degree Works™ FAQ

Degree Works™ logo

Q: What is Degree Works™?

Degree Works™ is a degree audit tool that allows students to track their progress toward degree completion and graduation.

Q: What are the benefits of using Degree Works™ features?

Degree Works™ makes it easier to track your degree requirements in real time. There is no need to guess how certain classes may apply toward your degree, so you don’t spend time and money on unnecessary courses. Are you thinking about changing your major? You can also find out how your credits will apply to another degree with the click of a button.

Degree Works™ is accessible anytime whether you are on campus or at home, as long as you have access to an internet connection.

Q: How do I access Degree Works™?

Once you have activated your student account, you can access Degree Works™ by following the instructions below. Use the same login information as you would when you are accessing your Banner, Blackboard and Office 365 accounts.

  1. Navigate to the MyCGCC page at /mycgcc/ (or go to the college home page at and select MyCGCC from the top right of the page).
  2. Scroll down to the Degree Works portal section and click on the Degree Works™ Login button
  3. On the Sign In page (image below), type in the username and password given to you in your activation letter and click the Sign In button.

CGCC Degree Works login box with test person user name and password

Q: How do I view my Degree Works™ audit?

Once you are logged in, click on “Worksheets” on the left-hand side of the page to view your audit.

To print your audit, click on “Save as PDF” and move your cursor to the bottom of the screen. The print option will be in the menu bar that appears.

Q: How do I read my Degree Works™ audit?

Degree works Demo screen

  • The header at the top of the page (in orange and yellow) includes your student information – name, student ID, advisor, GPA, academic standing, degree and major.
  • The green degree progress bars indicate your percentage of completed degree requirements and number of credits toward a degree.
  • The green degree header (under the progress bars) indicate the student’s catalog year and the major header (below the degree header) displays the total number of credits needed and the number of credits applied toward the requirements in the audit.
  • “High School Diploma or Equivalent” checks to make sure students have a final, official high school diploma or equivalent on file.
  • “GPA Requirement” indicates if a student’s GPA falls below 2.0, which is the minimum GPA to graduate.
  • “Apply to Graduate” checks to make sure students who are nearing graduation have a graduation application on file.
  • “Prior Degree” will appear when a student has already earned a prior degree from C-GCC. This indicates that you must earn a minimum of 30 new credits to obtain a second degree from C-GCC.
  • “Minimum 30 credits in Residence” checks to make sure transfer students earn a minimum of 30 C-GCC credits toward the degree.
  • In the audit, requirements appearing in red (with an empty box symbol) are incomplete. Yellow courses (with a green check box symbol) indicate that the requirement has been fulfilled. Blue (with a tilde box symbol) indicates that the requirement is in progress. There is also a “Legend” key at the bottom of the audit that tells how to interpret each color and symbol you will see on your audit.
  • For each completed requirement, the name of the class, course ID and number of credits are given along with the student’s grade and the semester in which the course was completed.
  • Credits that the student transferred into Columbia-Greene are indicated with an “S” in the grade column and “TR” in the semester column. Please note that in most cases, only transfer credits that apply to the student’s chosen degree program will appear in the audit. Ask your Academic Advisor if you have questions about your transfer credit.
  • For each set of requirements that is not yet fulfilled, advice is given as to which courses are suggested to complete the requirement. Please note that the “@” symbol means “elective.” Also note that any electives that would not meet the requirement are given as well. For example: 1 Class in MA @ Except MA 105 means any 1 Math (MA prefix) elective course fulfills the requirement but MA 105 would not fulfill the requirement.
  • Click on the course links in the audit to learn more about your required courses and your elective options. Here, you can also view course descriptions, as well as when and how courses are scheduled to run in upcoming semesters. If registration is open, you will also be able to see how many seats are left in the course for next semester.
  • The “SUNY General Education Information” is for advisement purposes only and is NOT required for graduation. It is advice suggested for those students who may plan to transfer into a four-year SUNY institution. SUNY suggests that students complete at least 7 out of the 10 categories, and a total of 30 general education credits, by the time that they graduate from a Community College.
  • When a student registers for a class that they have already passed (ex: C-, D grades), the first grade will remain in the audit and the repeat will appear in the fall through section, indicating that the course isn’t required to graduate. Once the repeat is complete, the new grade will move into the audit and the old grade will go to the insufficient section.
  • The sections at the bottom of the audit can be interpreted as follows (not all of these sections will appear on every student’s audit):
    • “Fall through” – Courses that do not apply toward graduation
    • “Insufficient” – Courses in which the grade requirement is not met
    • “Not counted” – Labs (0 credits) and transitional courses that are not college level
    • “In Progress” – Courses that the student is currently registered for, either in the current  or a future term
    • “Exceptions” – Advisor approved courses or overrides for student audits
    • “Notes” – Reminders, suggestions or advice entered by your advisor

Q: What other features can I use in Degree Works™?

  • “Class history” (blue hyperlink to the right of “Worksheets” in the center of the screen) allows a student to view the courses they have completed by term.
  • “What If” (below “Worksheets”) allows a student to see how the credits they have completed so far would be applied toward a different major, and what requirements would still be left to complete. Click on “What If” and then select the catalog year drop down (your advisor can help you determine which catalog year you would fall under if you do decide to change your major). Then select the desired major and either “Process What If” to view it or “Save as PDF” to print it and discuss with your advisor later.
  • “Look Ahead” is located below the “What If” tab. This tool can be used to view how courses you have planned for an upcoming semester will apply to your degree. Click on this tab and enter in each desired course ID by prefix and number, then click “Add Course”. When you are finished, click on “Process New”. These courses will show in blue writing and will be labeled as “Planned” with the number of credits indicated in parentheses, not to be confused with courses that the student has already been registered for or completed.
  • Use the “Transfer Finder” tool to find out how your C-GCC courses may apply toward transfer to specific majors at certain SUNY colleges. Please note that most questions regarding Transfer Finder audits will be directed to the college you are trying to transfer to.
  • The “GPA Calc” tab (to the right of “Worksheets”) includes three GPA calculators that can assist a student in estimating their GPA. PLEASE NOTE that these calculators do not factor in repeated courses. If you are repeating courses and would like help determining your GPA, please see your advisor.
    • The “Graduation Calculator” tells students the average GPA that they need to achieve each semester in order to reach their goal GPA. For this calculator, you need to enter the number of credits remaining for your degree, the total number of credits required for the degree, and your desired GPA on a 4.0 scale. If your calculator responds with an error message, it is impossible to reach the goal GPA without repeating coursework.
    • The “Term Calculator” allows students to estimate what their cumulative GPA will be by entering the grades that they think they can realistically achieve in each of the classes they are registered for. For this calculator, you need to enter the estimated grades for each course as well as the number of credits for each course you are registered for.
    • The “Advice Calculator” tells students whether or not it is possible to reach their desired GPA given the number of credits they have taken so far up to 150 total credits. Enter your desired GPA. If your calculator responds with an error message, it is impossible to reach the goal GPA without repeating coursework.

Q: Where can I go if I need help accessing or using Degree Works™, or with understanding my Degree Works™ audit?

Your advisor can help you with basic questions regarding your Degree Works audit. Make an appointment with your advisor or e-mail your advisor using the hyperlink on the header of your Degree Works audit. If you are having trouble accessing your Degree Works account, see Records and Registration.

Student Responsibilities:

It is the responsibility of the student to know what transitional courses they may be required to take. This is determined at the time of Admission using a placement exam. The responsibility to meet the requirements for graduation by the intended graduation date (selecting courses and completing courses satisfactorily) ultimately rests with the student. Your advisor is available to assist you.

*Please be advised that Degree Works™ may be unavailable for short time periods during system maintenance – Check the MyCGCC page at the bottom of the Degree Works section to see if there are any planned Degree Works system outages*

Section Menu